Custom Search

Monday, March 23, 2009

Riding the Train

Sadie Cohen lived in an integrated neighborhood on Long Island. Her neighbor was a very generous Black woman who stopped in one Saturday and asked, "Mrs Cohen, I have to go to NYC this afternoon to meet my
daughter; can I get you anything?

Mrs. Cohen thanked her and exclaimed, "Listen, I have a commuter's ticket for the train. Why don't you use my ticket and you'll bring it back tonight. After all, it's all paid for - why should you pay extra?"

The neighbor thanked her and got on the train. As the conductor came through the train, he happened to glance at the ticket and noticed the name "Sadie Cohen."

"Excuse me madam, are you Sadie Cohen, the person whose name appears on this ticket?"

The woman smiled sweetly and shook her head affirmatively.

A little suspicious, the conductor asked, "Would you let me compare signatures - would you please sign your name?"

The Black lady turned indignantly and snapped, "Man, are you crazy? You want me to write on Shabbos?"

No comments:

Post a Comment